Sunday, June 26, 2016

$4 Anemone frag/ Mushroom Frag Basket

So at the last frag swap I went to I found a RBTA that I just couldn't pass up buying. The seller had accidentally fragged one of them and was selling both frags for the price of 1 haha.  In the past I've kinda stayed away from buying anemones because I had a mixed reef tank and didn't want to add them to it just to have them move around and kill a few corals before they found their spot. Rock Flower anemones are a different story though since they usually don't move around a lot. Well since I couldn't resist buying the RBTA I had to come up with a spot to store them in the frag tank without them roaming around. This is what I came up with: a $4 basket that hangs on the side of the tank.




Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures of the process but it's pretty simple.

Materials/ Tools:
Zip ties
Strip of Plexiglas
Plastic suction cup soap dish from walmart
Heat gun

1. Take the suction cups out of the soap dish and wash it off. You don't know what has touched it in the store.

2. Take your strip of Plexiglas and on one side use the heat gun to bend it to fit up and over the tank edge. The strip that I had was about 14" long and I bent the one side and figured out where I wanted the dish to hang in the tank then I broke the rest off. It's probably a good idea to attach the dish to the Plexiglas first to figure out how much of the Plexiglas to break off.

3. Run the zip tie through the holes of the dish and around the Plexiglas. Make sure it's tight so you don't have to worry about the dish sliding down once you add whatever to it.

And that's pretty much it. For mushroom frags a screen might have to be added to the bottom of the dish to be able to hold rock rubble since the holes in the bottom of the dish are a bit big, but for anemones they are fine. Any questions on the dish feel free to ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment