Wednesday, September 3, 2014

26 Gallon Display Tank Update

I hadn't done a water change in awhile and since I'm not running a sump or fuge with this tank I figured I needed to do one. I did a 10 gallon water change last Thursday and added some carbon to the filter before I went north for the holiday, but when I got back something still seemed off to me. Everything looked fine, but a film had developed on the glass and there was no polyp extension on my Blue Staghorn. So I decided to do another 10 gallon water change. And boy am I glad I did. 

I tend to take a real good, close look at my tanks before, during, and after a water change and tonight was no different and that's when I saw them... Red Bugs. All over my Blue Staghorn. These little bugs are an SPS keepers worst nightmare. It's a good thug I caught it though since I was going to add one of 7 different Green Staghorn frags I got and made up today (got an awesome deal: 2 bigger pieces for $10 ea and another for $5 cause they were dying pieces that my LFS had trimmed off a colony and put in the LR bin. I cut 4 more frags from these where it was just a little branch with tissue not connected to the main tissue). I'll be doing the dip tomorrow to see how it goes and give an update on my Red Bug situation during the next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment