Thursday, September 18, 2014

Update: Bayer Advanced Insect Killer Dip

Last night I finally had the time to do this Bayer Dip on my Blue Stag. I was a little uneasy at first because I didn't know how it was going to turn out and I really didn't want to kill it, just the red bugs and whatever else that was being a pest. I used the recipe that I posted awhile back, diluted it a bit more adding about 290 mL to a gallon instead of the 320 mL that would have been used. When I was done mixing it all together it was the color of watered down milk which made me a little more nervous, but I tried it anyway.



I left the colony in there for about 8-9 minutes and already had two bowls of fresh saltwater sitting there waiting to be used to clean it off with. Since this piece was on a rock I decided to use a 3rd bowl of fresh saltwater to let it soak a bit in for about 10 mins then into the tank it went. After 30 minutes I took the turkey baster and blew the slime/ bugs off the coral and an hour later its color was back to normal, however, with no polyp extension.

Seeing this I wondered how it would effect zoas and algae, specifically byprosis. So I grabbed 3 zoa frags out of the frag tank (a frag of rastas, pink palys, and pink lemonade zoas) and dropped them in the murky pool of death. 10-12 minutes later I pulled them out and rinsed them off the same way. Surprising to me was the fact that about 3 minutes after I put the Rastas in the tank they opened all the way and the other two took about 30 minutes to even start opening!

All-in-all I would say that this dip works. After dumping it out carefully so I could see the bottom of the container, this is what I ended up seeing:


All those dots are red bugs or pods. Sadly two mini stars got caught in the cross fire, but I seem to have plenty more. I'll add to this post later today when I get home and see how the frags are doing 24hrs after treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment